Exhibit – x
Adopted – 12/7/2017
This checklist/timeline provides information regarding the process for filing complaints against a Pacific Grove Unified School District employee. For additional information regarding Complaints Concerning District Employees, please consult Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 1312.1 available on the District website and in the front office of every school site.
• The Superintendent or designee will determine if a complaint should be resolved by the District’s process for complaints concerning personnel, other District policies and procedures, or both.
• Every effort should be made to resolve the complaint informally at the earliest possible stage. If a complaint is not satisfactorily resolved informally, complainant may file a written complaint with the employee’s immediate supervisor or principal. District will investigate complaint in accordance with timeline for Formal Complaint Procedures, below.
• The written complaint should include a description of efforts to resolve the complaint informally and should specify the nature of the problem, including names, locations, witnesses, and the remedy sought by the employee.
• Administrative staff will assist a complainant in preparing a written complaint if he or she is unable to do so.
• Complaints regarding a principal or office administrator shall be filed in writing to the Superintendent or designee.
• Complaints regarding a Board member or Superintendent shall be submitted in writing to the Board of Education.
• Complaints alleging child abuse or neglect against a District employee should be reported directly to Director of Human Resources at the District Office, 435 Hillcrest Avenue, Pacific Grove, California, and also should be reported to appropriate local authorities in accordance with the law.
TIMELINE FOR FORMAL COMPLAINT PROCEDURES
WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS OF RECEIPT OF COMPLAINT: Immediate supervisor/principal conducts any necessary investigation and meets with complainant.
WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS OF MEETING: Immediate supervisor/principal presents parties with written answer.
If not satisfactorily resolved at Step 1, complainant may proceed to Step 2.
WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS OF ANSWER AT STEP 1: Complainant files written complaint with Superintendent/designee.
WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS OF RECEIPT OF COMPLAINT: Superintendent/designee conducts any necessary investigation and meets with complainant.
WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS AFTER MEETING: Superintendent/designee presents parties with written answer.
If not satisfactorily resolved at Step 2, complainant may proceed to Step 3.
WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS OF ANSWER AT STEP 2: Complainant files written appeal to Governing Board
NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED BOARD MEETING AFTER APPEAL FILED: Appeal hearing held by Board
WITHIN 30 WORKING DAYS OF APPEAL HEARING: Board provides written decision to parties. Decision of Board is final.