6146.11 – Instruction – Curriculum – Alternative Credits Toward Graduation

Policy – x
Regulation –
Exhibit –

Adopted – 3/5/1998
Revised – 2001

Juvenile Court School

The District shall accept for credit any coursework satisfactorily completed by students while detained in a juvenile court school or county or state-operated institution. District students who successfully complete District graduation requirements while so detained shall receive a diploma from the school they last attended.  (Education Code 48645.5)

Foreign Language Instruction

The District shall accept for credit foreign language courses successfully completed in a private school, provided that all of the following conditions are met:

  1. The student or parent/guardian applies in writing for the credit, specifies the private schools attended and the amount and level of credit requested, and submits written evidence from the private school showing that the student successfully completed the course.
  2. The amount of credit sought equals at least one semester’s work.
  3. The principal or designee determines that the student’s achievement is equivalent to that expected of a student of comparable ability taking the same or similar instruction in District schools.
  4. The school has WASC or a similar accredited status or course work and competence is verified by the school administrator i.e. review of text, course work samples along with student demonstration of knowledge.

College Courses

The District shall give credit toward high school graduation for course work successfully completed at an accredited community or state college, provided that:

  1. The student applies in writing for the credit.
  2. The course subject is included in the high school course of study.
  3. The student receives the same letter grade for the high school credit as is granted by the college.

Questions regarding specific credit earned for a given class should be referred to the high school counseling office.

The Superintendent or designee shall establish regulations under which the District may grant credits toward graduation for college courses and private instruction attended by District students. Credit towards graduation also may be granted pursuant to law for training received in the armed forces and for correspondence instruction from an accredited institution.

The Superintendent or designee may grant physical education credit for participation in District interscholastic athletic programs when a student has been exempted from physical education classes because of this participation and when such participation entails a comparable amount of time and physical activity for a maximum of one semester of the four-semester requirement. (EC 51242)

Students using interscholastic athletics participation to fulfill physical education requirements may be graded on this participation, provided that a teacher credentialed to teach physical education is available.

Legal Reference:


35160  Authority of governing boards

35160.1  Broad authority of school districts

48645.5  Course credit, juvenile court schools

48800-48802  Attendance at community college; advanced education

51220  Areas of study; grades 7-12

51225.3  Requirements for graduation

51240-51246   Exemptions from requirements

51740-51741  Authority to provide instruction by correspondence


1600-1635 Alternative credit

Management Resources:


0418.89 Physical Education, April 18, 1989

0615.89  Granting credit for passing GED, SPB:88/89-11


CDE:  http://www.cde.ca.gov


This entry was posted in Policy. Bookmark the permalink.