Policy – x
Adopted – 3/6/2003
The Governing Board recognizes that parents/guardians of District students have certain rights as well as responsibilities related to the education of their children.
Parents/guardians shall have the opportunity to work with schools in a mutually supportive and respectful partnership and to help their children succeed in school. (Education Code 51100)
The Board believes that the education of the District’s students is a shared responsibility. The Superintendent or designee shall work with parents/guardians to determine appropriate roles and responsibilities of parents/guardians, school staff and students for continuing the intellectual, physical, emotional and social development and well being of students at each school site, including the means by which the schools and parents/guardians can help students achieve academic and other standards of the school.
Within this framework, the school’s primary responsibility shall be to provide a high-quality curriculum and instructional program in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables all students to meet the academic expectations of the school.
The District encourages parents/guardians to support the learning environment of their children by monitoring attendance.
Parents/guardians may support the learning environment of their children by: (Education Code 51101)
1. Monitoring attendance of their children
2. Ensuring that homework is completed and turned in on time
3. Encouraging their children to participate in extracurricular and co-curricular activities
4. Monitoring and regulating the television viewed by their children
5. Working with their children at home in learning activities that extend the classroom learning
6. Volunteering in their children’s classroom(s) or for other school activities
7. Participating in decisions related to the education of their own children or the total school program as appropriate
44670.5 Professional development program
49091.10-49091.19 Parental review of curriculum and instruction
51100-51102 Parent/guardian rights
CSBA Date – 2/99