Policy – x
Adopted – 7/16/1998
The Governing Board believes that, in order to maximize student learning, teachers must be continuously learning, improving their skills and updating their instructional methods. To provide certificated staff with opportunities to enhance their skills, the Superintendent or designee shall develop a program of ongoing professional development which may include but not be limited to:
1. Mastery of discipline-based knowledge, including the state-adopted standards, and effective subject-specific pedagogical skills
2. Training in the use of technologies that enhance instruction
3. Sensitivity to the needs of diverse student populations, including minorities, students with disabilities, English language learners and economically disadvantaged students; ability to meet those needs
4. Understanding of how academic and vocational instruction can be integrated and implemented to increase student learning; skill in evaluating and combining available instructional resources; opportunities to collaborate with other staff members in the alignment of academic and vocational curricula
5. Knowledge of strategies that enable parents/guardians to participate fully and effectively in their children’s education
6. Effective classroom management skills; ability to relate to students, understand their various stages of growth and development, and motivate them to learn
7. Training related to student health, safety and welfare
To the extent possible, the district’s staff development program shall provide maximum opportunities for staff participation while minimizing the impact on the number of instructional days offered to students.
The Superintendent or designee shall develop a district staff development plan that is coordinated with school improvement objectives and school plans established by individuals who are closest to the classroom and most knowledgeable about the needs of the school and its students.
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that the district meets its obligations related to the professional growth of individual probationary and permanent teachers.
Because the Board believes that intensive professional development is especially critical during the beginning years of a teacher’s career, the Superintendent or designee shall develop a voluntary program of individualized support and assistance for first-year and second-year teachers.
The Board may budget funds for actual and reasonable expenses incurred by certificated staff who participate in staff development activities. The Superintendent or designee shall provide a means for continual evaluation of the benefit of these activities to staff and students.
EC 44032, 44277-279, 44279.1-279.7, 44560, EC 44570-578, 44580-591, 44630-643, 44670.1-680.8, 44681-689, 44700-705,44755-759, 51226.3, 52022, 52800-870, 52854, 54720-734, 56240-245; GC 3543.2; US CODE TITLE 20 6101-6251, 6601-6702; CTC PUBS: Calif. Standards for the Teaching Profession: A Description of Professional Practice for Calif. Teachers, 1997.
CSBA Date – 2/98