Regulation – x
Adopted – 7/16/1998
Revised – 6/26/2003
Distribution, Posting or Circulation of Materials
Materials generated by non-students may be distributed, posted or circulated in District schools only when prior approval has been granted by the Superintendent or designee.
Surveys or questionnaires requiring staff and/or student or parent/guardian response also must be first approved by the Superintendent or designee. All materials to be distributed shall bear the name and method of contact of the individuals responsible for the activity.
Materials shall not be distributed to staff and/or students or advertised in school-sponsored publications if they:
1. Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous. (Education Code 48907)
2. Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the school’s orderly operation. (Education Code 48907)
3. Discriminate against, attack or denigrate any group on account of gender, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, or other unlawful consideration; or promote one group over another.
4. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Governing Board policy.
5. Promote the use or sale of materials or services which are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives. Ads for tobacco, intoxicants, and r-rated and x-rated movies or products shall not be used.
6. Announce the meetings of non-curricular student-initiated groups.
Before publication, posting, circulation or distribution the Superintendent or designee shall review all copy to assure that it complies with the provisions of Board policy and administrative regulations.
At their discretion, teachers may use commercial-free instructional television programs and other instructional materials that do not require advertising to be viewed.
District schools shall not distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested.
See Policy #1325
CSBA Date – 6/96