Regulation – x
Adopted – 7/16/1998
When developing the district’s technology plan, the Superintendent or designee shall consider:
1. The district’s existing equipment and its capability for working with new technologies.
2. Existing facilities and the extent of retrofitting required for various electronic formats.
3. When appropriate, the hiring of a communications network expert to determine facility requirements and design a communications system that meets the specific needs of the school environment, addressing network security. The system should be able to interface with various types of communications networks and handle anticipated advances in technology to the extent possible.
4. When appropriate, the district’s options for connecting to information networks; staff training to evaluate the various network service providers; and a process that allows all carriers to compete for service.
5. Ways in which electronic formats can be used to enhance the curriculum, motivate and improve student research, generate advanced thinking skills, and promote learning, including English language acquisition.
6. The equipping of school library media centers to improve the instructional program and promote cost-effective sharing of informational resources.
7. The integration of technological resources into school and district administration to facilitate routine operations, staff meetings/collaboration, and communication with parents/ guardians and community agencies.
8. The use of technology to serve professional development needs, helping staff to improve their practices and enabling them to exchange ideas with peers.
9. The feasibility of providing system access to students and staff who have their own computers at home.
10. Staff development for teachers and/or library media specialists in how to use the new technology and make it an integral part of the instructional process in all parts of the curriculum.
11. Staff development needs of staff who will provide ongoing technical support.
12. Potential sources of ongoing funding and assistance, including support from parents/guardians and the business community.
13. A process for evaluating and updating the district’s technology plan and its implementation.
See Policy #0440.
CSBA Date – 6/95